Python for S60 brings the power and productivity of the Python programming language to the S60 platform. The tools enable rapid application development and prototyping, and the ability to create stand-alone S60 applications written in Python.
To develop applications for Series 60 phones some files are required and need to be installed:
- Series 60 Developer Platform SDK
- Script editor (alternatively a text editor can be used)
- Python plug-in for the Symbian SDK (to be installed on the PC)
- Python for Series 60 interpreter (to be installed on the phone)
Software to install on the PC
Series 60 Developer Platform SDK
The S60 Platform SDK for Symbian OS, allows developers to quickly and efficiently run and test applications for devices that are compatible with the S60 Platform. Using a Symbian OS language integrated development environment (IDE), development with the SDK is hosted on a PC. The S60 Platform device emulator allows applications to be run and tested without a device.
Here you can found a link to download the SDK for Series 60 2nd Ed. FP2 :
For more information about the installation, read the releasenote.txt file contained in the .zip file you download from the above link.
You can use any text editor for writing and editing your python script.
However, several free editors are avaliable. here you can find a link to some of them:
Some of them can require Python interpreter to be installed on the PC. You can download it from:
Python plug-in for the Symbian SDK
According the phone model you want to target with your applications, you wuold need differrent plug-in to install on your PC:
- Python For Series60 for 1st Ed FP1 (e.g. Nokia N-Gage and 3650)
- Python For Series60 for 2nd Ed (e.g Nokia 6600)
- Python For Series60 for 2nd Ed FP1 (e.g. Nokia 6620, 7610)
- Python For Series60 for 2nd Ed FP2 (e.g Nokia 6630, 6680)
- Python For Series60 for 2nd Ed FP3 (Nokia N70,N90)
Within the .zip file you download, you will find a file named example.zip with some python scripts.
Software to install on the phone
Here you can download Python for Series 60 interpreter (version 1.2) application according to your phone model:
- Python For S60 1st Ed (Nokia N-Gage and 3650)
- Python For S60 2nd Ed (Nokia 6600, 6630, 6670, 7610)
- Python For S60 2nd Ed FP3 (for phone model: N70, N90)
Within each archive you download from the above link, you will find the .SIS file to send to the phone (for example PythonForSeries60_2nd_FP3.SIS), a .zip file named examples.zip with some examples and 3 pdf files: